Sunday, June 15, 2008

Computer Lessons

In many ways computers are great tools that enable us to do all kinds of things. When they work, they are a joy, but when they fail, they can leave devastation in their wake! Last Saturday, quite unexpectedly, my hard drive failed. Now it would be an exaggeration to say that I was completely unprepared, I have been using computers long enough to know that this kind of thing happens to everyone eventually. I did know about the importance of backing up my data, especially my most valuable data, and that is what I had done, although I will be much more careful and thorough in the future. Still the 'crash' took up time and energy and it has been a whole lot of extra work reinstalling operating systems and other programs to get things up and running again. Consequently, I have not been able to post to this blog as is my custom. But now that calm has been restored--at least for the time being--I thought I would update anyone who might be interested.

During the past week the preacher in me has thought of a number of lessons and applications that flow quite naturally from this event. I will spare you the details except for one. The Bible repeatedly warns about a day when Jesus will return in power and glory to judge the world. This message has been proclaimed many times since the Holy Spirit descended on the Day of Pentecost. But in spite of the warnings, that day will catch many off guard, in a way similar to the crash of my computer. One day, when we least expect it, this age will have run its course and it will be time for God to enter into judgment. What a day that will be. We know it is coming, we should be preparing for it, but the passage of time can lull us to sleep until it is too late.

Later today I will speak on 1 Peter 4:7-11 at Grimsby Bible Church and it is a passage that it would be good for all readers of this blog to consider. Peter writes: "The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. If you speak, you should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If you serve, you should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."

No comments: