Monday, June 26, 2006

A Time of Change

This past Sunday was my last official Sunday as the pastor of Pilgrim Baptist Fellowship in Ancaster. I have accepted a full-time position at Toronto Baptist Seminary as Professor of Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies beginning this summer. The time at Pilgrim has gone by all too quickly and there is so much more to be done. But over the past few months as we have tried to determine what the Lord wants us to do it has become apparent that our times are not in our hands. He is in complete control and it is our responsibility to follow his leading in our lives. This is what we are attempting to do even though we leave many friends behind us at Pilgrim. But we believe that if it is his will for us to move on to a new area of endeavor, it is also his will for someone else to carry on the work of building the church in Ancaster. Please pray for the church and for this new venture in my life. After 24 years of pastoral ministry it is going to be a change for me and my family but we are confident that God has called us to serve him in this way and by his grace this is what we will do.

Lately, I have started reading the devotional book Valley of Vision which is a collection of an assortment of Puritan prayers and devotions edited by Arthur Bennett. Here is the introductory prayer from which the book gets its name: The Valley of Vision

Lord, High and Holy, Meek and Lowly,

Thou has brought me to the valley of vision,
where I live in the depths but see Thee in the heights;
hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold thy glory.

Let me learn by paradox
that the way down is the way up,
that to be low is to be high,
that the broken heart is the healed heart,
that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
that to have nothing is to possess all,
that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
that to give is to receive,
that the valley is the place of vision.

Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from
deepest wells,
and the deeper the wells the brighter
thy stars shine;
Let me find thy light in my darkness,
thy life in my death,
thy joy in my sorrow,
thy grace in my sin,
thy riches in my poverty
thy glory in my valley.

2 comments:

JLF said...

It will be a season of great change for you and your family indeed! I look forward to seeing what our Lord has for his church in Ancaster through this time as well.

Thanks for this prayer... have you seen this? I can't wait for it, it looks like it will be stellar!

Kirk M. Wellum said...

Julian, I had not seen that link, but thanks for passing it along. That looks like something I will pick up once it is released in August.